10. Spruell, J. M.; Levy, B. A.; Sutherland, A.; Dichtel, W. R.; Cheng, J.; Stoddart, J. F.; Nelson, A. J. Polym. Sci., Part A: Polym. Chem. 2008 (Accepted)
9. Spruell, J. M.; Sheriff, B. A.; Rozkiewicz, D. I.; Dichtel, W. R.; Rohde, R. D.; Reinhoudt, D. A.; Stoddart, J. F.; Heath, J. R. Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. 2008 (Accepted)
8. Dichtel, W. R.; Miljanic, O. S.; Zhang, W.; Spruell, J. M.; Patel, K.; Aprahamian, I.; Heath, J. R.; Stoddart, J. F. Acc. Chem. Res. ASAP Article, DOI: 10.1021/ar800067h.
7. Spruell, J. M., Dichtel, W. R.; Heath, J. R.; Stoddart, J. F. Chem. Eur. J. 2008, 14, 4168–4177.
*Highlighted on the Frontispiece of the Journal
6. Moore, L. R.; Wester, E. C.; Craciun, R.; Spruell, J. M.; Dixon, D. A.; O'Halloran, K. P.; Shaughnessy, K. H. Organometallics, 2008, 27, 576–593.
5. Adaligil, E.; Davis, B. D.; Hilmey, D. G.; Shen, Y.; Spruell, J. M.; Brodbelt, J. S.; Houk, K. N.; Paquette, L. A. J. Org. Chem., 2008, 72, 6215–6223.
4. Northrop, B. H.; Spruell, J. M.; Stoddart, J. F. Chemistry Today, 2007, 25, 4–7.
3. Braunschweig, A. B.; Dichtel, W. R.; Miljanic, O. S.; Olson, M. A.; Spruell, J. M.; Khan, S. I.; Heath, J. R.; Stoddart, J. F. Chem. Asian J. 2007, 2, 634–647.
*Highlighted by Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. 2007, 46, 3606.
2. Dichtel, W. R.; Miljanic, O. S.; Spruell, J. M.; Heath, J. R.; Stoddart, J. F. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2006, 128, 10388–10390.
*Highlighted as one of the ten most-accessed communications in JACS from July–September 2006
*Highlighted as an ACS Hot Paper in May 2007
1. DeVasher, R. B.; Spruell, J. M.; Dixon, D. A.; Broker, G. A.; Griffin, S. T.; Rogers, R. D.; Shaughnessy, K. H. Organometallics 2005, 24, 962-971.
I followed Fraser to Northwestern University in early 2008 after spending two and half years at UCLA with the Stoddart Group. Before coming to UCLA, I had completed a Bachelors of Science from the University of Alabama. There I researched with Silas Blackstock on electron donor-acceptor binding between sulfoxides and electron poor alkenes in solution and the solid state. I then moved on to computational studies with David Dixon using DFT to model water soluble phosphine catalysts being developed by Kevin Shaughnessy at the University of Alabama. With the help of Anthony Arduengo and Armido Studer, I wrote a grant that was funded to synthesize nitroxide radical compounds with Studer at the Universität Münster, in Germany.
I moved around the South growing up, namely Chattanooga, TN, Birmingham, AL, and Dothan, AL but also spent some time in Breckenridge, CO. I enjoy spending time with my beautiful wife, Joy, and our recent addition, Nathan. We spend our free time at Lake Michigan, cycling, reading, and most of all-wondering about the unpredictable weather in Chicago.